January 19, 2023 12:48 GMT
Mining Industry Disappointed Over Dominga Rejection
- Chile's mining industry said on Wednesday that it regretted the government's decision to reject an environmental permit for the Dominga iron-copper project, saying political considerations had overshadowed technical aspects of the proposal. (Mining Weekly)
- In his first speech after winning the presidency, President Boric voiced his opposition to the project, located near protected maritime zones in the north of the country.
- As a reminder the rejection came from the Committee of Ministers, a government panel that reviews disputes over investment projects, earlier on Wednesday.
- Environment Minister Maisa Rojas earlier on Wednesday said the committee voted unanimously to reject the project after considering its potential impact on wildlife, water sources, air quality and marine-protected areas.
- Separately, Chile’s lower house will vote on a constitutional accusation against Social Development Minister Giorgio Jackson.
- La Tercera reports that Jackson will overcome the accusation due to doubts among some opposition lawmakers in regard to supporting the proposal of the Partido Republicano.