Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
Real-time insight of oil & gas markets
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas will likely raise its key policy rate by 50bp this week in attempt to tackle above-target inflation and throw a lifeline to the struggling peso.
MARKET NEWS TOP STORIES
US President Joe Biden is shortly due to sign the Inflation Reduction Act into law.
- Livestream of the ceremony here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-Ux0pjfeo
- At remarks accompanying the signing Biden is expected to claim the bill, "will lower the cost of energy, prescription drugs, and other health care for American families, combat the climate crisis, reduce the deficit, and make the largest corporations pay their fair share of taxes."
- The Inflation Reduction Act is a major legislative achievement of the Biden administration and a event will be held at the White House on Sept. 6 after lawmakers return from the summer Congressional recess.
- The primary problem for the White House is striking upon an effective strategy to sell the legislation to the electorate when the positive effectives of the legislation will not manifest until long after the midterm elections in November. Biden will host a cabinet meeting on the implementation of the legislation in the coming days and then, according to White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain, members of Biden's cabinet will travel to 23 states over 35 trips this month to tout the legislation.
A poll released today has shown Democrat challenger in the Florida Senate race House Rep Val Demings (D-FL) with a 4% lead over high-profile Republican incumbent Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL).
- The poll from the University of Florida represents a significant change from previous polling data showing Rubio with a strong lead in a seat which is considered to lean Republican.
- Rubio is considered an influential figure within the right wing of the Republican party and currently sits as vice chair on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
- The changing dynamics of the Florida Senate race is a firm signal that the political environment is improving for Democrats in the Senate. Democrats now have four credible opportunities to flip seats in November - Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida.
A spokesperson for United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has confirmed the UN chief will travel to Ukraine on Thursday and Friday.
- Michelle Nichols of Reuters: "U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will meet with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in Lviv, Ukraine on Thursday and visit Ukraine's Black Sea port of Odesa on Friday [...] SG will then visit the grain deal JCC in Istanbul."
- Although, the secure operation of the UN and Turkish mediated grain corridor is the primary reason for the visit, Guterres is likely to press Kyiv on a solution to the deteriorating situation at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear facility.
- Yesterday, Guterres held a call with Russian Minister of Defence Sergei Shoigu to discuss grain exports and security at Zaporizhzhia.
- Guterres said in a statement this week: "I have appealed to all concerned to exercise common sense and reason and not to undertake any actions that might endanger the physical integrity, safety or security of the nuclear plant – the largest of its kind in Europe."
- "Regrettably, instead of de-escalation, over the past several days there have been reports of further deeply worrying incidents that could, if they continue, lead to disaster."
- "I urge the parties to provide the IAEA mission with immediate, secure and unfettered access to the site."
- "We must be clear that any potential damage to Zaporizhzhia or any other nuclear facilities in Ukraine, or anywhere else, could lead to catastrophic consequences not only for the immediate vicinity, but for the region and beyond. This is wholly unacceptable."
MNI discusses Fed rate outlook with ex-BOE member Charles Goodhart -- On MNI Policy MainWire now, for more details please contact email@example.com
MARKET NEWS REAL-TIME COVERAGE
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Why Subscribe to
MNI is the leading providerof news and intelligence specifically for the Global Foreign Exchange and Fixed Income Markets, providing timely, relevant, and critical insight for market professionals and those who want to make informed investment decisions. We offer not simply news, but news analysis, linking breaking news to the effects on capital markets. Our exclusive information and intelligence moves markets.
Our credibilityfor delivering mission-critical information has been built over three decades. The quality and experience of MNI's team of analysts and reporters across America, Asia and Europe truly sets us apart. Our Markets team includes former fixed-income specialists, currency traders, economists and strategists, who are able to combine expertise on macro economics, financial markets, and political risk to give a comprehensive and holistic insight on global markets.