Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Most EM Asia currencies gained after the greenback snapped a four-day rally on Wednesday, a holiday in Japan sapped some liquidity from the region.
- CNH: Offshore yuan is slightly weaker, giving back some of Wednesday's gains which was the best day for offshore yuan in eight weeks.
- SGD: Singapore dollar is stronger, Singapore announced earlier this week will tighten restrictions again from today as new cases hit a record daily high. Markets await CPI data tomorrow.
- TWD: Taiwan dollar gained, retreating from a three-month low. Markets await an announcement from officials that lockdown measures will be relaxed.
- KRW: Won is higher, shaking off another record day of coronavirus case numbers. There were over 1,800 new cases and authorities are said to be considering extending movement restrictions.
- MYR: Ringgit gained, Dep PM Ismail Sabri said that the gov't is considering permitting factories where more than 80% of staff have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to resume operations. Markets await CPI tomorrow.
- IDR: Rupiah strengthened, Markets await the BI's interest rate announcement later in the session. Bloomberg published a source story shedding some light on the decision-making process behind Indonesia's handling of Covid-19 outbreak. The article suggested that Pres Widodo ignored advice from his health advisors, who warned against dramatic spike in both caseload and death toll, when he chose not to impose a a full-scale lockdown.
- PHP: Peso is higher, The Presidential Palace said officials are considering a travel ban on Malaysia and other neighbouring countries, after denying entry to travellers from Indonesia.
- THB: Baht hovers around neutral levels, the laggard in Asia EM. There were reports that the coronavirus Thai outbreak could take up to 2ppts off 2021 GDP.