August 18, 2022 12:41 GMT
Metals bulletEM BulletFixed IncomeHomepageCommoditiesEnergy BulletsBulletMarketsEmerging MarketsForeign Exchange
- Reasonable beat for the Philly Fed manufacturing survey in August as it increased from -12.3 to +6.2 (cons -5.2), helping offset the large miss from the Empire State survey.
- The press release sets the tone though: “Although the general activity index turned positive, it was low, and the new orders index remained negative.”
- Further, in the opposite development to Empire, 6-months ahead general activity saw a smaller improvement, from just -18.6 to -10.6 and only just poking above the brief prior low of -12.4 from Feb’08.
- It hit concurrently with a small improvement in jobless claims, with initial dipping to 250k (cons. 264k) from a downward revised 252k in a payrolls reference week.
- It sees Tsys pare gains but with yields still down -2.5-3.5bps across the curve.