Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Spot USD/MYR re-opened slightly lower, but has trimmed losses and last sits -20 pips at MYR4.1205, after Thursday's BNM MonPol decision & industrial production data.
- As we predicted and in line with BBG consensus, BNM maintained its OPR at 1.75% yesterday, pointing to green shoots in economic indicators and flagging downside risks related to the course of the pandemic.
- Malaysia's industrial production index surged 9.3% Y/Y in March, beating expectations of a 8.7% increase and reaching highest levels since Jul 2013, with gains driven by m'fing & electricity sub-indices. The value of m'fing sales grew 15.3% Y/Y over the same month.
- Finance Ministry said that the gov't will inject MYR440mn into the State Reserve Fund to help regional gov't's in dealing with the consequences of the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Health Min Adham said that there are no delays in the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme and there is a chance it will be completed ahead of schedule.
- Sabah Local Government and Housing Min suggested that the state will introduce a ban on all inter-district travel from Monday.
- BNM will release foreign reserve data later today. Next week, focus turns to Tuesday's Q1 GDP & BoP current account balance.
- A break above May 6 high of MYR4.1267 would clear the way to Apr 16 high of MYR4.1318, while bears look for a dip through Apr 30 low of MYR4.0877.