Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
In a soft start to the week for the European FI space, the standout move was in periphery spreads which have widened sharply in recent days.
- Spain, Portugal, Greece 10 Yr spreads traded at the widest vs Bunds since mid-2020, with the best explanation appearing to be speculation over potential ECB slowdown of PEPP purchases as soon as June. Italy widened most; notably the sovereign has a heavy issuance slate for the remainder of the year and would be unduly impacted by a slowdown in purchases.
- Gilts and Bunds were stronger early but sold off through most of the morning.
- Tuesday sees UK labor market data and flash Eurozone Q1 GDP. Appearances by ECB's Villeroy, and BOE's Bailey, Broadbent and Ramsden. UK sells GBP5.5bln in Gilts, Germany E6bln Schatz; EU syndicates dual-tranche SURE (MNI est size E11-15bln).
Closing yields/10-Yr Spreads to Bunds:
- Germany: The 2-Yr yield is up 0.1bps at -0.655%, 5-Yr is up 1bps at -0.51%, 10-Yr is up 1.4bps at -0.115%, and 30-Yr is up 1.2bps at 0.446%.
- UK: The 2-Yr yield is up 0.4bps at 0.084%, 5-Yr is up 0.6bps at 0.386%, 10-Yr is up 0.8bps at 0.865%, and 30-Yr is up 0.4bps at 1.401%.
- Italian BTP spread up 2bps at 122bps / Spanish spread up 1.6bps at 73bps