Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Real-time Actionable Insight
Get the latest on Central Bank Policy and FX & FI Markets to help inform both your strategic and tactical decision-making.Free Access
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Tsys remain under pressure in late trade, 30Y looking to extend recent session lows even as equities trade weaker/off lows amid sporadic program selling -- squaring up ahead the extended holiday weekend.
- Yield curves only mildly steeper despite the better long end selling, 5s30s just over 56.78 in late trade; 30YY climbs to 2.1212% (shy of Mon's 2.1491% high); 10YY tapped 1.7770% vs. Mon's 1.8064% high.
- Rates took the large Dec Sales miss in stride: headline -1.9% M/M vs -0.1% expected, with ex-auto/gas -2.5% vs -0.2% expected -- trimming losses w/stocks to session highs by midmorning. Ongoing geopol tension between US and allies vs. Russia over Ukraine border troop build.
- Steady refrain from hawkish Fed officials underscoring 3-4 .25bps hikes (more likely the latter) starting in March emboldened sellers and option hedgers. Fed enters media blackout at midnight through Jan 27, day after FOMC annc.
- With March becoming a crowded trade, option accts started shifting focus to mid-year (give or take a month or two) for more aggressive lift-off than currently priced in. For context: Fed Waller suggested during Bbg interview late Thu that if inflation remains high “the case will be made for four, maybe five hikes”.
- Near a perfect storm really for edge/potential profitability in putting on risk abatement hedges or simply for speculation – June was main focus today w/ paper buying June 98.93/99.06/99.18 put fly buyer -- EDM2 is at 99.265 -- looking for underlying to drift near that center strike for max profit. Anecdotal observations: implieds elevated, put skew still favored
- The 2-Yr yield is up 7.2bps at 0.9648%, 5-Yr is up 7bps at 1.5428%, 10-Yr is up 6.2bps at 1.7663%, and 30-Yr is up 6.4bps at 2.1066%.