June 17, 2022 07:16 GMT
The Italian government has countermeasures in place to ride out gas supply cuts from Russia in the coming days according to the country’s ecological transition minister.
- “The gas situation is under control, we are monitoring flows day and night, damages are so far limited” said Roberto Cingolani.
- Cingolani said that the reasons for the supply cuts could be linked with Russia trying to exert "political pressure or a manifestation of retaliation,"
- Eni said yesterday they only received 65% of the gas supply volumes it had requested from Russia while today that has fallen to 50%.
- Russia had said on Wednesday they would only drop flows to Italy by 15%. Gazprom has warned Italy is could suspend all flows because of additional delays in repair work.
- Earlier in the week, Gazprom announced it was slashing gas flows to Germany via the Nord Stream 1 pipeline—by 40%--after equipment repairs had been delayed due to Russian sanctions.