September 30, 2022 00:48 GMT
- Japanese retail sales rose 4.1% y/y in August, accelerating from the 2.4% y/y growth reported last month, marking the sixth monthly rise.
- On a monthly basis, retail sales grew 1.4%, quicker than the 0.8% growth in July.
- General merchandise sales jumped up 10.1% y/y, up from the previous 4.6% y/y, while sales of fabric apparels and accessories edged up 6.2% y/y after rising 1.1% y/y in July.
- Sales of food and beverages were kept flat growth, compared with the 0.5% increase last month.
- Fuel sales, another key driver, rose 10.8% y/y, faster than the previous 7.9% y/y growth.
- Sales of machinery and equipment registered a fall of 6.5% y/y, after dropping 5.5% y/y in July.