November 17, 2023 19:45 GMT
Late Equity Roundup: Holding Modest Gains Ahead Weekend
HomepageEquitiesAT&T Market NewsBank of America Market NewsBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange News
- Stocks maintaining modest support in late Friday trade, still near the middle of a narrow session range. Currently, DJIA is up 11.36 points (0.03%) at 34956.04, S&P E-Mini futures up 5.25 points (0.12%) at 4528.5, Nasdaq up 14.8 points (0.1%) at 14128.66.
- Leading gainers: Energy and Consumer Discretionary sector shares continued to lead, oil and gas stocks buoyed the former as crude prices rebounded from Thursday's sharp sell-off (WTI +2.88 to 75.78): Marathon Petroleum +3.75%, APA +3.4%, Targa Resources +2.9%, Diamondback Energy +2.84%.
- Meanwhile, the Consumer Discretionary sector was buoyed by broadline retailers and auto parts makers: Ross Stores +8.24% after beating earnings est late Thursday, Etsy +3.90%, Best Buy +2.13%, Aptiv +2.5%, Borg-Warner +1.86%.
- Laggers: Communication Services and Health Care sectors underperformed, interactive media and entertainment shares weighing on the former: reversing prior session gains, Google -1.65%, Disney, Take Two and News Corp all down -0.50%-0.55%. Health Care sector shares weighed by equipment and service stocks: Molina -3.21%, Humana -2.95%, STERIS -2.43%.
- Corporate earnings winding down, but still some big names expected next week: Lowes, Best Buy, Burlington Stores and Kohl's early Tuesday, Autodesk, Nvidia and Deere after Tuesday's close.