Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
- **Rodrigo Pacheco elected Senate President securing 57 votes versus 21 for his rival Tebet.
- **Arthur Lira elected Lower House Speaker, winning 302 votes versus 145 votes cast for Baleia Rossi.
- No surprises here. May offer some respite in the short term for local assets. Given both candidates were supported by Bolsonaro, we should likely see less friction in passing the government's reform agenda. Lira too has said he would secure a constitutional amendment with mechanisms to cut expenses if needed to comply with the spending ceiling.
- A definite win for Bolsonaro, especially as impeachment threat is substantially hindered.
- Undoubtedly, there will be obstacles ahead as headlines will be dominated around the need for further stimulus. Pacheco told reporters after the result that "I'll start a conversation with the government so we can reconcile the spending cap rule with social assistance."
- The central bank has always been very vocal surrounding the fiscal trajectory. Previously stating, 'changes in the fiscal policy that affect the public debt trajectory or compromise the fiscal anchor would motivate a reassessment, even if the spending ceiling in nominal terms is still maintained.'