March 21, 2023 05:23 GMT
USD Firms In Asia, Antipodeans Pressured
The greenback is marginally firmer in Asia today, BBDXY is up ~0.1%. The USD firmed in the wake of reports crossed of the US studying ways to guarantee all bank deposits, link here.
- Kiwi is pressured and is the weakest performer in the G-10 space at the margins. The pair prints at $0.6210/15, down ~0.5%, and has broken through the 20-Day EMA. New Zealand trade deficit narrowed in February printing at -$700mn after a deficit of ~$1.9bn in January.
- AUD/USD is also pressured, the pair is dealing below $0.67 handle and is down ~0.4% today. Support in the pair comes in at $0.6590 the low from 15 March. The RBA minutes showed that the board is getting closer to pausing their tightening cycle, with upcoming retail sales and inflation data emerging as key inputs to the decision.
- Yen is little changed, USD/JPY has observed narrow ranges today with little follow through on moves.
- Elsewhere the broad based USD gains have EUR and GBP both down ~0.2%.
- E-minis have pared gains to sit unchanged on the day, the Hang Seng is ~0.3% having been up over 1% shortly after the open.
- In Europe today the German ZEW Survey is the highlight. Further out Canadian CPI, Philadelphia Fed Non-Manufacturing Index and Existing Home Sales headline the docket.