Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
The won is stronger, USD/KRW down 2.20 at 1148.35 and retreating from a 2021 high set in yesterday's session.
- On the coronavirus front South Korea reported a record high daily case tally of 1,784. The government had warned previously that case numbers could peak at around 2,000 per day around mid-August before dropping back. For the first time since the state of the fourth wave regions outside the capital area reported over 500 cases
- Data earlier showed PPI rose 6.4% in June from a revised 6.6% in May, the eighth straight month of gains. The rise was attributed to industrial goods prices. CPI also remained elevated in June which has underscored rate hike expectations.
- Other data showed that exports remain strong in July, rising 32.8% in the first 20 days after a 29.5% rise in June. Imports rose 46.1% after a 29.1% rise in the first 20 days of June. The rise was attributed to robust demand for chips, autos and petroleum products
- Elsewhere, Finance Minister Hong said elevated house prices could ensure a correction in the coming months, and said the government will put policy priority on expanding the supply of residential properties in a bid to curb speculative demand for homes.