12:30 ET 17:30 BST: The White House has announced that President Joe Biden will deliver an unscheduled address on today's Supreme Court decision in the case Dobbs vs Jackson's Women's Health, the ruling which will roll back constitutional protections to abortion provided under Roe Vs Wade.
- Biden's address will be available to watch here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/
- The White House says "President Biden will address the nation following the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe vs. Wade at 12:30 p.m. ET. The president will speak on the Dobbs vs. Jackson Women's Health Organization decision from the Cross Hall of the White House."
- The ruling will have significance for the midterm elections in November. Vulnerable Democrats are likely to use the SCOTUS ruling to frame the midterms as a referendum on abortion.
- The White House is likely to push Congress to legislate the protections of Roe vs Wade but it is difficult to see how a GOP filibuster can be overcome without a "nuclear option" being deployed.
- Moderate Democrat Senator Joe Manchin has already stated today that he will support Roe Vs Wade legislation making the prospect of bypassing a filibuster more feasible.