May 12, 2022 15:51 GMT
A Monmouth University poll released a short time ago has suggested that abortion is now the second most important policy issue for voters.
- Which of these policy issues is most important in your vote choice for Congress?
- 26% economy, 25% abortion, 16% healthcare, 14% immigration, 9% gun control, 8% taxes
- MU: 'Nearly half (48%) of Democrats say a candidate’s alignment with their views on abortion is extremely important to their vote, which is up from 31% who said the same in 2018.'
- The poll reveals the dramatic shift in the midterm's landscape since the leaked SCOTUS ruling forecasting a rolling back of the reproductive rights protections of 'Roe v Wade.'
- Following the failed Senate vote on codifying Roe yesterday, the Senate leaders provided a preview of a likely bitter midterm:
- Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY): ‘Elect more MAGA Republicans if you want to see a nationwide ban on abortion, if you want to see doctors and women arrested, if you want to see no exceptions for rape or incest.’
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY): ‘Our Democratic colleagues want to vote for abortion on demand through all nine months, until the moment before a baby is born. A failed show vote that will only prove their own extremism.’