Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
- ANC is facing internal troubles just two weeks before the local elections with preparations being made for a welcome home rally for ex-president Zuma, military veterans holding a Luthuli House sit-in earlier in the week and rumoured political moves by Magahsule-aligned ANC members targeting Eastern Cape Premier Mbuyane and also registering as independent candidates to challenge the ANC in local elections.
- This comes at a time when the party is trying to salvage its image, dented in many municipalities by poor service delivery & corruption
- Energy Min Mantashe reiterates his opposition to the climate finance and just transition deal – saying rich nations should force SA to abandon coal and impose conditions as a requirement for funding.
- His position places him squarely at odds with Ramaphosa who has called for a reduction in emissions. Mantashe warned the switch to renewables could risk power shortages like those seen in india and China and defended the prior energy blueprint calling for 1500mw of new coal capacity & 3000mw of gas fired generation
- Eskom Suspends load-shedding after 6-days of power cuts, but warned that significant risks remained to some generating units which could cause load-shedding at short notice
- Transport Min Mbalula promises a new deadline for the Gauteng e-toll matter to be resolved. Says Govt is "determined" to see the issue laid to rest before the end of the year, with some form of an announcement expected during the mid-term budget in November.
- Gauteng motorists continue to ignore the system, while road agency Sanral racks up debt and suffers losses due to the govt indecision