Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
USD/JPY trades flat at Y113.82 ahead of the BoJ's policy announcement, accompanied by the Bank's Outlook Report (see our preview for more colour). The release of Japan's monthly retail sales data will also provide interest today.
- All this comes ahead of Friday's data dump, which includes Japan's unemployment, Tokyo CPI and flash industrial output.
- The rate is stabilising after yesterday's sell-off, driven by demand for the yen owing to its safe haven status.
- Bears would like to see USD/JPY cross below yesterday's trough at Y113.39, which would turn focus to Sep 30 high at Y112.08, a recent breakout level. Conversely, a jump above Oct 20, 2021/Nov 6, 2017 highs of Y114.70/73 would bring Mar 10, 2017 high of Y115.51 into play.
- Sources told Kyodo that the gov't are planning to relax restrictions on large-scale events from Monday. The decision may be finalised as soon as today, following discussions of Japan's Covid-19 panel of experts.