November 24, 2022 07:42 GMT
- Notably, the prime minister this morning has stated that the government are to start talks on providing €187mln in Ukraine aid. In isolation not a significant headline, but comes just a day after the FAZ report that suggested the EU will opt to continue to freeze on as much as €7.5bln in Cohesion funds.
- The FAZ report saw the EU using the frozen funds as a lever to press Budapest to push ahead with multilateral Ukraine aid, of which Hungary’s contribution was to be €187mln.
- Later today, the European Parliament are to hold a non-binding vote on Hungary’s progress in meeting rule-of-law concerns.
- This is largely symbolic, and will likely follow the recommendation of EP lawmakers last week, who recommended voting against Hungary’s progress. The vote is due at 1200 local time (1100GMT).
- Erdogan today meets with his Visegrad counterparts in Slovakia, and will likely come under pressure from partners to approve NATO expansion – and may face awkward questions about his Greater Hungary scarf worn at the world cup earlier this week.