Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
FLASH Q4 GDP -1.3% Q/Q SA, -5.0% Y/Y WDA
Q4 HH CONSUMPTION EXPENDITURE -5.4% Q/Q
Q4 GOVT CONSUMPTION EXPENDITURE -0.4% Q/Q
Q4 EXPORTS +4.8% Q/Q; IMPORTS +1.3% Q/Q
- The French economy contracted by 1.3% in Q4 after the record-breaking 18.5% gain in Q3. However Q4 beat market expectations of a bigger drop (median 4.0%).
- Annual GDP fell by 5.0% in Q4 following Q4's improvement to -3.9%.
- Over the year of 2020, GDP declined by 8.3% compared to a growth rate of 1.5% in 2019.
- Q4's decrease was driven by a significant decline of household consumption, down 5.4% q/q amid the renewed strict curfews and containment measures throughout the quarter.
- However, the decline is much smaller than the one seen in Q2 during the first lockdown.
- Government consumption eased 0.4% in Q4 after rebounding by 14.6% in Q3
- Meanwhile, exports decelerated to 4.8% and imports slowed to 1.3% in Q4.