January 31, 2023 00:34 GMT
Japan Dec Ind. Output -0.1% M/M; 1st Drop in 2 Mths
- Japan's industrial production dropped for the first time in two month by 0.1% m/m in December, led by machinery and electronic industries, due to the decreasing demands.
- Shipments fell for the forth consecutive month by 0.7% m/m, led by declines in the general-purpose/business-use machinery industry and electrical industry.
- Inventories fell 0.5% from last month - the automobile industry made the largest contribution to the decrease due the increasing exports.
- METI kept its assessment of production as "weak", and will continue to closely monitor the impact of the spread of the novel coronavirus on the domestic and foreign economies, the impact of supply shortages as well as rising prices.
- METI sees production keep flat (revised up from -0.6%) in January before rising 4.1% in February.