November 09, 2022 01:35 GMT
MIDTERMS: Betting Markets See Early Signs Of Strong Democrat Performance
HomepagePolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange NewsPolitical Market News
Betting markets are showing signs that early counts from New Hampshire, Georgia, and Pennsylvania may deliver strong results for Democrats.
- Betting exchange Smarkets has seen Democrats tick up from 30% to 40% implied probability of retaining control of the Senate in the last hour.
- This is mainly due to early count in New Hampshire showing incumbent Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH) with a strong lead over Gen Don Bolduc (R).
- In Georgia, the race seen as most likely to determine control of the Senate, Senator Raphael Warnock (D-GA) has an early lead over Trump-endorsed Herschel Walker.
- 538 has determined that the Georgia voting dynamics closely tracks that of the special election which gave Warnock the seat last year. It is looking like a very tight race.
- Senate control is seen as crucial to Democrats. If they retain control of the Senate, Biden will be a position to continuing confirming federal postings including judges and ambassadors. (A Supreme Court judge too in the unlikely event a seat on the bench becomes available).