November 17, 2023 13:42 GMT
MNI POLITICAL RISK - Next Up At APEC: Biden-AMLO Bilateral
Metals bullet EM Bullet Fixed Income News Homepage Political Market News Commodities Energy Bullets Bullet Markets Emerging Markets News Foreign Exchange News
- President Biden will meet bilaterally today with Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador to discuss fentanyl and migration - two major vulnerabilities for Biden ahead of the 2024 presidential election. Biden and AMLO both reported progress in counternarcotics after meetings with Chinese President Xi Jinping this week but AMLO's historical stance on drug policy suggests meaningful progress may be difficult.
- President Biden yesterday signed into law the Continuing Resolution to extend government funding through two deadlines in January and February.
- A scandal at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation could impact the Biden administration's banking policy.
- Federally indicted House Representative, George Santos (R-NY), appears likely to be expelled from Congress after a damning 56-page ethics report found that he, “sought to fraudulently exploit every aspect of his House candidacy for his own personal financial profit."
- Former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley (R) continues to gain momentum as the most credible GOP primary challenger to former President Donald Trump.
- Senator Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) decision not to run for re-election is likely to impact energy policy, should Democrats hold the Senate in 2024.
- The Biden administration is prepared to remove energy exportation licenses awarded to Venezuela, "if they don’t take the agreed steps."
- The US and the Philippines yesterday signed a "landmark" civil nuclear cooperation agreement.
- Poll of the Day: The partisan divide on how government agencies should be funded.
Full article: US Daily Brief