NSC Spox Kirby: Negotiations Are The Right Way To End War In Ukraine
White House National Security Council Spokesperson John Kirby has told reporters that the US is "...not participating in negotiations [...] with the Russians," but "short of Russia pulling out, negotiations are the right way to end the war in Ukraine."
- Sasha Ingber at Newsy writes: "That softens remarks by top US general Mark Milley, which were criticized."
- Chairman of Joint Chiefs Mark Milley said earlier this month, “When there’s an opportunity to negotiate, when peace can be achieved, seize it."
- Milley said following a meeting of the Ukraine contact group this Wednesday: “You want to negotiate at a time when you’re at your strength, and your opponent is at weakness,” and suggested that the chance of Ukraine expelling Russian forces from all Ukrainian territory was low.
- Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin said at the same Ukraine Contact Group presser: "What’s a good time to negotiate? We’ve said repeatedly that the Ukrainians are going to decide that and not us.”
- Kirby's comments are likely to fuel speculation that Washington will continue to openly support Ukraine's maximalist ambitions but may privately be pushing Kyiv to pursue a political settlement with Russia.