Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
DOLLAR: ### POV: Dollar's recent sell-off remains sharp on a historical basis
and the risk of a short-squeeze is rising.
* After funding requirements prompted volatility in EURUSD crosscurrency basis
swaps ahead of Christmas, the USD rallied on perceived funding demand from
institutions across Europe.
* This was quickly reversed post-Christmas with markets citing month-, quarter-
and year-end rebalancing as a catalyst for the sharp dollar sell-off.
* Crosscurrency basis swaps have now returned to 'normal' levels and usual
service should resume.
* MNI's FX Positioning Indicator suggests the market has become less bearish on
the greenback: the CFTC COT report shows speculators held a net long position
for the first time since July 2017 last week. This closing of successful short
positions could underpin the greenback in the coming weeks.
* Of the seven weeks since the beginning of 2016 the DXY fell this sharply, on
five occasions the dollar rallied in the following week and only twice did it