- G10 Markets
- Fixed Income
- Foreign Exchange
- Emerging Markets
- MNI Research
- Global Macro
- Political Risk
- About Us
Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
- G10 Markets
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
Real-time insight of oil & gas markets
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Real-time Actionable Insight
Get the latest on Central Bank Policy and FX & FI Markets to help inform both your strategic and tactical decision-making.Free Access
Tokyo CPI Headline Misses, But Core-Core Fresh Y/Y Highs
Tokyo CPI prints for May were mixed. The headline y/y coming in weaker at 3.2%, versus 3.4% forecast and 3.5% prior. Headline CPI is now some distance below Jan highs of 4.40%. We saw the exact same outcomes for the measure which excludes fresh-food (3.2% y/y, versus 3.4% expected). The core measure which excludes both fresh-food and energy was in line with expectations though, +3.9%, versus 3.8% prior.
- This is a fresh high for the core measure in y/y terms since 1982. Looking at the sub-categories, we saw 6 out of 10 record faster y/y momentum compared to Apr. Utilities, down -7.3% y/y, was a big drag on the softer headline result (down -4.1% m/m).
- All categories saw m/m increases except for household goods and utilities, (while housing was flat).
- Overall goods inflation was -0.2% m/m, while services rose 0.1%, slightly down from the recent pace of 0.2-0.3%.
- Market reaction has been limited, USD/JPY drifting up from session lows to 140.00 (earlier lows were at 139.87, as US equity futures softened).
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Why Subscribe to
MNI is the leading providerof intelligence and analysis on the Global Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange and Energy markets. We use an innovative combination of real-time analysis, deep fundamental research and journalism to provide unique and actionable insights for traders and investors. Our "All signal, no noise" approach drives an intelligence service that is succinct and timely, which is highly regarded by our time constrained client base.
Our Head Office is in London with offices in Chicago, Washington and Beijing, as well as an on the ground presence in other major financial centres across the world.