April 28, 2022 14:36 GMT
- Today, President AMLO will send to congress a constitutional reform that would drastically reduce the number of congressional representatives, speaking at his daily press briefing.
- The bill would get rid of 200 representatives of the lower house and 32 senators who are selected by parties based on the portion of votes each party received instead of by direct vote of the public, Customs Chief Horacio Duarte Olivares said.
- Election costs and party funding would be reduced with money going to other projects, Interior Minister Adan Augusto Lopez added.
- Worth noting, according to a statement from the Eurasia Group at the beginning of April, AMLO’s planned bill to choose electoral officials via popular vote, reduce the size of congress, and decrease funding for political parties isn’t likely to be approved.
- “The opposition and even allies of the ruling coalition will reject the bill, as it would hurt their political influence and future competitiveness”, the statement said.
- For reference - constitutional reforms require two-thirds support in each of the houses of congress in order to pass.