April 28, 2022 15:21 GMT
US President Joe Biden is currently delivering remarks on new measures to support Ukraine. Livestream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVc4G506UI
- Biden: 'I just signed a request to Congress' 'We need this bill to support Ukraine.'
- Biden: 'The cost of this fight is not cheap.' 'Ukraine needs arms, funding, ammunition. It is critical this funding gets approved as quickly as possible.'
- Biden: 'I said I would impose powerful sanctions on Russia but we are not attacking Russia, we are helping Ukraine defend itself.'
- From NYT: 'President Biden asked Congress for USD$33 billion more for Ukraine. He also wants to use seized assets from Russian oligarchs to provide more help.'
- The request is considerably higher than the USD$13 billion approved by Congress last month and demonstrates that the Biden administration expect a long and drawn out war.
- Biden says that the US has exhausted the funds available through presidential drawdown authority.