- G10 Markets
- Fixed Income
- Foreign Exchange
- Emerging Markets
- MNI Research
- Global Macro
- Political Risk
- About Us
Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.LATEST FROM POLICY:
- G10 MarketsG10 Markets
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.Launch MNI PodcastsFixed Income FI Market AnalysisCentral Bank PreviewsFI PiEurozone/UK Bond Auction CalendarEurozone/UK T-bill Auction CalendarUS Treasury Auction Calendar US$ Credit Supply Pipeline Fixed Income Technical Analysis EGB Issuance, Redemption and Cash Flow Matrix Gilt Week Ahead
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
Real-time insight of oil & gas markets
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.LATEST FROM DATA:
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.Global Macro Central Bank PreviewsCentral Bank ReviewsBalance Sheet AnalysisInflation InsightGlobal IssuanceEurozoneUKUSOverviewGlobal Issuance CalendarsEZ/UK Bond Auction CalendarEZ/UK T-bill Auction CalendarUS Treasury Auction Calendar
- About Us
Real-time Actionable Insight
Get the latest on Central Bank Policy and FX & FI Markets to help inform both your strategic and tactical decision-making.Free Access
MNI China Daily Summary: Monday, May 29
MNI: PBOC Net Injects CNY23 Bln Via OMOs Monday
MNI: PBOC Yuan Parity Lower At 7.0575 Monday; -4.91% Y/Y
European Coal-to-Gas Fuel Switching Potential Rises On Lower Prices
Power producers in western Europe are expected to increase gas-fired generation, instead of coal, as gas-output profitability for power generation increased amid lower prices, according to S&P.
- The relative profitability of burning gas has increased as prices dropped, while the cost of coal has stayed relatively high. Gas plants with an efficiency of 55% are able to out-compete 40% efficient hard-coal units in some markets, according to Sabrina Kernbichler, a power analyst at S&P Global Commodity Insights.
- Coal-fired power generation in the European Union rose 1.5% last year according to think tank Ember.
- In addition to margins, below-average rainfall in most of Europe in recent weeks has increased concerns that low river levels at the Rhine lead to a struggle to get coal to the stations that need it, further incentivizing the switch to gas-fired generation.
- The difference in profitability is most clearly seen in the day-ahead markets and forward prices through to the end of summer, according to Kernbichler.
- TTF MAR 23 down -2% at 50€/MWh
To read the full story
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Why Subscribe to
MNI is the leading providerof intelligence and analysis on the Global Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange and Energy markets. We use an innovative combination of real-time analysis, deep fundamental research and journalism to provide unique and actionable insights for traders and investors. Our "All signal, no noise" approach drives an intelligence service that is succinct and timely, which is highly regarded by our time constrained client base.
Our Head Office is in London with offices in Chicago, Washington and Beijing, as well as an on the ground presence in other major financial centres across the world.