February 07, 2023 14:30 GMT
Habeck And Le Maire Arrive In Washington For Discussions On IRA
HomepagePolitical Market NewsPolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange News
German Economy Minister Robert Habeck and French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire have arrived in Washington for a key meeting with Biden administration officials on the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Edited: Typo corrected in Le Maire quote
- The meeting, attended by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, comes ahead of a special EU summit on Thursday Feb 9 to discuss the European response.
- Habeck told reporters: "We still have a couple of months for a solution on critical raw material in IRA."
- Le Maire: "We need to ensure the maximum number of European companies are included in IRA framework."
- Habeck said yesterday that he believes a “de facto” free trade agreement could be reached between Europe and the United States to mitigate harms to European companies.
- Habeck: "I can imagine that there will be agreements in certain sectors that have the same effect as equal treatment. And then I would be satisfied. One should not be picky about it… if it is not a free trade agreement, but a regulatory framework where the same goods are valued equally in the same market, then what we actually need has been achieved."