Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Risk appetite improved Thursday, rates holding narrow range near lows since late morning while equities surged -- Dow surged over 600.0 at one point while eminis traded +60.0 at 4444.0 after the FI close, US$ index DXY -.418 at 93.044.
- Brief risk-off move ahead the NY open as China's Evergrande continued to roil markets. Early risk-on tone scaled back slightly after headlines that Chinese officials told "local governments to prepare for downfall" (DJ) of real-estate developer.
- Quickly discounted, risk-on tone gained momentum into midday as participants ruminated over timing and speed of tapering as precursor to lift-off. Main takeaway from Fed Chair Powell's presser: reinforcement that taper very likely annc in Nov barring a poor Sep jobs report (mark your calendar for Fri October 8 ). Re: Sep payrolls report, Powell actually said he's looking for a "reasonably good one" and later a "decent" one, and NOT a "knockout, great, super strong employment report".
- Little react to weekly claims, +16K to 351K; continuing claims +0.131M to 2.845M
- Bonds more than reversed post FOMC gains, yield curves bear steepening -- while 5s30s held below 100bp, front end curves surged: 2s10s +8.5 at 114.7 -- near last Fri's high print -- that married up with strength in financials / banks today.
- Decent overall volumes as yields climbed, two-way deal-tied hedging on $10B corp supply, some option hedging ahead Fri's Oct Tsy expiration.
- The 2-Yr yield is up 2bps at 0.2567%, 5-Yr is up 7.8bps at 0.9286%, 10-Yr is up 10.6bps at 1.4061%, and 30-Yr is up 11.3bps at 1.9207%.