August 31, 2023 01:44 GMT
Japan Jul Retail Sales +6.8% Y/Y; 17th Monthly Rise
- Japanese retail sales rose 6.8% y/y in July, following the 5.8% y/y growth reported last month, marking the 17th monthly rise.
- On a monthly basis, retail sales increased 2.1%, rising from last 0.6% fall in June.
- General merchandise sales increased 6.3% y/y, quicker than the 4.5% y/y increase last month, while sales of fabric apparels and accessories rising 3.0% y/y, picking up from the decrease of 2.0% y/y in June.
- Sales of food and beverages increased 8.0% y/y, after growing 6.9% y/y last month.
- Fuel sales, another key driver, grew 2.8% y/y, climbing up from the 4.1% y/y decrease made in June.
- Sales of machinery and equipment up 6.8% y/y, slower than the 9.4% y/y growth last month.