May 12, 2022 12:23 GMT
- The United States Senate again failed to advance abortion rights legislation. All Republican Senators and Joe Manchin (D-WV) voted against the measure. Following the vote a number of Democrat Senators made pointed references to the difficulties of legislating with an unreliable colleague (Manchin). Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI): ‘It’s a majority that comes and goes. Sort of like the tide.’
- A notable development this week is the terms ‘MAGA,’ ‘ultra-MAGA agenda,’ and ‘MAGA King’ being peppered throughout Democrat speeches. This is an apparent strategic directive from HQ designed to reframe the midterms as a contest between a ‘moderate’ Democrat party and an ‘extreme’ GOP.
- President Biden was on the road again yesterday trying to hammer home the White House message that inflation is a global crisis caused by the effects of COVID-19 and the Russian war in Ukraine.
- The White House has plans to unlock blockaded Ukrainian grain and Agriculture Secretary Tom Visack is in Europe at a G7 Agri ministerial.
- Today Biden will host ASEAN at the White House and attempt to convince another batch of reluctant states to support US-led sanctions against Russia.
- The killing of an Al Jazeera journalist, and US citizen, Shireen Abu Akleh has strained diplomatic relations between the United States and Israel. State Department Spox Ned Price was subjected to sharp questioning at his daily presser but declined to call for an independent investigation.
- Poll of the Day: Fairleigh Dickinson University has released an expansive report claiming that perceptions of the strength of the executive are highly influential on the President’s approval rating.