September 23, 2022 03:03 GMT
The Philippine peso outperforms in emerging Asia as BSP Gov Medalla rattled the FX intervention sabre and signalled more rate hikes may be on the horizon after yesterday's 50bp increase.
- Medalla noted that the central bank is planning to become more active in FX markets after being "quite active" this week. He added that Bangko Sentral has other measures to tackle peso volatility and still has more space to tighten monetary conditions.
- Foreign investors sold a net $3.50mn in Philippine equities Thursday, while the PSEi lost some altitude, extending losses today to last trade ~1% lower.
- Spot USD/PHP last deals -0.140 at PHP58.350, with bears looking for a sell-off past Sep 13 low of PHP56.728. Topside focus remains on the PHP58.502 record high.
- USD/PHP 1-month NDF last -0.100 at PHP58.520. The low print of Sep 13 provides the initial bearish target at PHP56.700. Bulls keep an eye on PHP58.700, an all-time high.
- The peso remains the worst performer in the Asia EM basket this week, despite trimming some of those losses today.
- The White House's readout from U.S. Pres Biden's meeting with his Philippine counterpart Marcos said the POTUS "reaffirmed the U.S.' ironclad commitment to the defence of the Philippines" as the two discussed tensions in the South China Sea.