August 15, 2022 13:44 GMT
CommoditiesHomepagemarkets-real-timePolitical Market NewsPolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletEnergy BulletsBulletMarketsFixed IncomeForeign Exchange
German Economy Minister and Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck is delivering comments following the announcement of a new gas levy on German households.
- Habeck: "Germany's Russia-dependent energy model has failed and is not coming back".
- Habeck: "An alternative to a levy would have been the collapse of the German energy system...These measures make us less vulnerable to blackmail".
- Habeck: "[We] have to swallow bitter medicine to make the shift to a new energy model....the gas levy will secure supply".
- Habeck: "We require targeted relief to help peopple with the gas levy".
- Initial estimates have the increase in energy costs coming in at EUR480/year for an average 4-person household.