Stuart Lau of Politico has reported that the EU and Japan plan 'to deepen "exchanges on China, notably with regards to political, economic and security dynamics", slam "militarisation, coercion and intimidation" in S China Sea and step up coordination with US' at the EU-Japan summit tomorrow.
- The summit will begin tomorrow at 21:00 ET(11/05) 02:00 BST 10:10 JST.
- Japan will be represented by PM Fumio Kishida and the EU by EU Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen and EU Council President Charles Michel.
- A full schedule can be found here: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/intern...
- The summit represents the next stage in Tokyo's recent engagement with Western military alliances.
- In recent calls with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned that closer collaboration between the EU and the US would lead to instability.
- Beijing will be especially concerned that the war in Ukraine has fast-tracked Japan's emergence as a genuine regional military power.