January 31, 2023 01:08 GMT
Japan Dec Retail Sales +3.8% Y/Y; 10th Monthly Rise
- Japanese retail sales rose 3.8% y/y in December, following the 2.5% y/y growth reported last month, marking the tenth monthly rise.
- On a monthly basis, retail sales rose 1.1%, offsetting the 1.1% growth in November.
- General merchandise sales picked up 3.9% y/y, faster than the 2.9% y/y increase last month, while sales of fabric apparels and accessories rose 1.0% y/y, converting from the decrease of 8.8% y/y in November.
- Sales of food and beverages increased 3.4% y/y, accelerating from the 1.6% y/y growth last month.
- Fuel sales, another key driver, rose 3.2% y/y, wiping off the 2.6% y/y drop in November.
- Sales of machinery and equipment dropped 3.0% y/y, following last 2.9% y/y drop in November.