November 17, 2022 17:31 GMT
Pelosi Says She Will Not Seek Re-Election To Democrat Leadership
HomepagePolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange NewsPolitical Market News
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has announced in a speech on the floor of the House of Representatives that she will not seek re-election to a leadership position within the Democrat Party.
- Pelosi: "Democracy must be forever defended."
- Pelosi: "While we will have our disagreements on policy, we must remain fully committed to our shared mission... to always put our country first."
- Pelosi: “When I came to the congress in 1987 there were 12 Democratic women. Now we’re over 90 – and we want more.”
- Pelosi: "With great confidence in our Caucus, I will not seek reelection to democratic leadership in the next Congress."
- Melanie Zanona at CNN tweeted shortly before Pelosi took to the House floor: "As Dems wait on pins & needles for Nancy Pelosi to reveal a decision about her future, Rep. G.K. Butterfield — a former Congressional Black Caucus chair — told me that Hakeem Jeffries “is prepared for the moment” if Pelosi steps aside, and said “yes” he’ll run for top D spot."
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was reportedly not present to watch Pelosi's speech in person.