Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
The dollar index faltered in Asia, while broader risk tone remained positive, as light regional headline flow failed to offset the optimistic reception of the U.S. infrastructure deal.
- CNH: USD/CNH extended yesterday's losses past its 100-DMA, with an in-line PBOC fix providing little in the way of fresh impetus.
- KRW: The risk-sensitive won outperformed its regional peers, with USD/KRW printing a one-week low. Yesterday's hawkish rhetoric from BoK Gov Lee and continued improvement in business sentiment among South Korean manufacturers provided local tailwinds for the KRW.
- IDR: The rupiah struggled to follow suit and benefit from better risk sentiment. The difficult Covid-19 situation in Indonesia continued to sap demand for the IDR.
- MYR: The ringgit firmed a tad. Science Min Khairy said yesterday that the gov't is set to announce a "big economic assistance package," but refused to reveal any details. Malaysian May CPI printed at +4.4% Y/Y, missing consensus forecast of +4.7%.
- THB: USD/THB retreated after a failure to take out the THB32.00 figure yesterday. Thailand's parliament approved only a limited tweak to the constitution, shrugging off demands of pro-democracy protesters.
- PHP: The peso gained alongside most Asia EM currencies. Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas held rates on hold Thursday and marginally upgraded its 2021 CPI forecast.
- SGD: USD/SGD fell to a new one-week low. Singapore pledged to expand its Covid-19 vaccination campaign from next month, while FinMin Wong anticipated looser rules for inoculated residents.
- TWD: USD/TWD slipped, but struggled to get past its 50-DMA. Japan said Taiwan's stability is directly linked to its own security and pledged to donate 1mn vaccine doses to the island.