Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
Real-time insight on key fixed income and fx markets.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
Q: What's the disconnect between high number of unemployed and high number of job openings?
- A: It's a really unusual situation to have such a high ratio of vacancies to unemployed. There are a number of things at work there. This is now not so much about people going back to their old jobs, it's about finding a new job, and that's a time intensive, labor intensive process. There may be a bit of a speed limit on that. It's not like you can have millions of people at the beginning of the recovery going back in a single month because they're going back to their old job.
- There are people who are reluctant to go back to work because they still feel exposed to Covid. These could be jobs where there's a lot of interaction with the public. Also schools are not fully open, and parents are at home. And there's also very generous unemployment benefits which are rolling off, they'll be fully rolled off in a couple of months.
- All of those factors should wane, because of that we should see strong job creation moving forward. We hear from businesses all over the country it's very hard to hire people. That may be because people are shopping carefully for their next job. I think the bottom line on this is people want to work. If you look at where labor force participation can get, people will go back to work, unless they retire.
- Generally speaking, Americans want to work and they'll find their way into the jobs they want. It may take some time.