October 05, 2022 10:34 GMT
HomepagePolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange NewsBank Of England (BOE) Market NewsPolitical Market News
UK Prime Minister Liz Truss has outlined the three pillars of her agenda in a speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham.
- Truss: "First of all we will lower our tax burden. Over the summer we had a robust debate. The Conservative Party will always be the party of low taxes. Cutting taxes is always the correct thing to do, morally and economically."
- "We need to be internationally competitive on tax."
- "The abolition of the 45p rate of tax became a distraction to our growth plan."
- Second: "We will keep an iron grip on public finances. I believe in fiscal responsibility."
- "We will bring down debt as a proportion of our national income."
- "It is right for the BOE to set interest rates independently."
- Third: "We will drive economic reforms and break down barriers to growth."
- "We will back business to the hilt."
- "By the end of the year all EU red tape will be consigned to history."