January 17, 2023 14:46 GMT
USTR Tai: US Places Highest Priority On Addressing EU Trade Fears
HomepagePolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange NewsUSPolitical Market News
US Trade Representative Katherine Tai has told reporters at the World Economic Forum, ahead of a meeting with European Commission Executive Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis, that the United States places the highest priority on assuaging EU concerns over protectionism.
- 12:00 ET 17:00 GMT 18:00 CET: Tai and Dombrovskis will give a joint press conference: https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/ebs/1/20230117
- Tai said that a taskforce set-up by Tai and Dombrovskis in October is addressing issues which are complicated and important for both the US and EU: "In terms of the task force's work what I would say is, it's ongoing, it really has the highest priority placed on it from President Biden himself."
- The EU has expressed reservations that US moves to lessen the impact of tax credits and incentives don't go far enough to shelter EU manufacturers.
- EU Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen gave a speech to the forum this morning outlying the new Green Deal Industrial Plan, a EU response to US Inflation Reduction Act.
- Von Der Leyen: “To keep European industry attractive, there is a need to be competitive with offers and incentives that are currently available outside the European Union."