April 29, 2022 19:26 GMT
The approval rating of President Joe Biden remains poor despite a charm offensive from the White House during the Congressional recess.
- The FiveThirtyEight.com presidential approval tracker currently shows Biden with 41.7% approval.
- White House strategists had hoped that public perception of Biden as a 'war-time' president would provide a bump in approval.
- Biden also used executive powers to draw down the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and deregulate the use of biofuels to ease rising petrol prices.
- These initiatives do not appear to have been reflected in Biden's approval rating.
- The Real Clear Politics Generic Congressional Ballot shows the Republican party with a 4.8 point margin - the widest so far during Biden's time in the White House.
Chart 1: Joe Biden Approval Rating (FiveThirtyEight)