May 25, 2023 18:02 GMT
Biden: I Believe We'll Come To An Agreement
HomepagePolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange NewsPolitical Market News
President Biden has delivered unscheduled remarks at the White House to update on the status of debt limit negotiations.
- Biden delivered the remarks at the top of a White House event to announce General Charles Brown as his nomination to serve as the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Livestream: https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/
- Biden: "Negotiators are meeting as we speak."
- Biden: "Speaker McCarthy and I have had several productive conversations on the debt ceiling."
- Biden: "It is time for Congress to act now."
- Biden: "Speaker McCarthy and I have a very different view of who should bear the burden of additional efforts to get our fiscal house in order."
- Biden: "The only way to move forward is with a bipartisan agreement and I believe we'll come to agreement which will allow us to move forward."
- Biden's remarks and White House Press Secretary Jean-Pierre's presser, which concluded a short time ago, reflected a more positive tone in Washington today. She noted on a number of occasions that the White House believes "there is a path forward" to resolve the standoff in a bipartisan way.