August 12, 2022 19:28 GMT
Bonds finished stronger, near late highs on a quiet second half w/ TYU2 just over 1M well after the bell compared to 815k ahead midday, yield curves unwinding a portion of this week's CPI/PPI induced steepening.
- Muted reaction to early deflationary data: Import (-1.4%)/Export (-13.3%) prices come out weaker than expected. Tsys that were already off highs after the open continued to scale back support, albeit on light volumes, equities turning modest gains.
- Dual react: Tsy support faded after preliminary August reading of consumer sentiment from the University of Michigan climbed to 55.1 vs. 52.5 exp (51.5 in July and all-time low of 50.0 in June for comparison).
- Meanwhile, Richmond Fed Barkin midmorning comments on CNBC deemed mixed with "more rate hikes needed to control inflation" and a "lot of time before Sep meeting, keep an eye on data" weighing. Less hawkish tones in the mix with "TIGHT LABOR MARKET DOESN'T HAVE TO CAUSE INFLATION; DEMAND DEFINITELY SOFTENING, ESP FOR LOW-INCOME CONSUMER; MUST BELIEVE BAL-SHEET SHRINKING HAS TIGHTENING EFFECT."
- Blocks contributed to yield curves paring back from wk's steepening post UofM: -11,421 TUU2 104-20.88, sell through 104-21 post-time bid at 1010:56ET vs. +3,960 UXYU2 128-31.5 buy through 128-28.5 post-time offer; -25,033 FVU2 112-09.5 sell through 112-09.75 post-time bid at 1036:45ET, 112-09.25 last -.25.
- Late curve levels:
- 3M10Y -4.974, 26.663 (L: 25.199 / H: 33.589)
- 2Y10Y -7.618, -41.125 (L: -41.125 / H: -32.494)
- 2Y30Y -9.512, -14.282 (L: -14.364 / H: -5.024)
- 5Y30Y -4.728, 13.923 (L: 13.604 / H: 18.841)
- Cross asset: Stocks trading strong after the bell, SPX eminis +66.0 (1.41%) at 4275.75; Gold +11.30 at 1801.02; Crude weaker (WTI -2.59 at 91.75).