July 01, 2022 16:11 GMT
The 27 commissioners of the European Council are in Prague to mark the beginning of the Czech Republic's six-month rotating presidency of the Council of Europe.
- According to Prague, the priorities of a Czech-led council will be: "managing the refugee crisis and Ukraine’s post-war recovery, energy security, strengthening Europe’s defence capabilities and cyberspace security, strategic resilience of the European economy, and resilience of democratic institutions."
- Czech Prime Minister Petr Fiala said in a statement:
- "The need for an accelerated transformation of Europe’s energy sector is even more urgent today."
- "Another important task of the Czech Presidency will be the post-war reconstruction of Ukraine."
- Fiala also suggests policy continuity from the French presidency in the Strategic Compass: "The Czech Presidency will also seek to strengthen European defense capabilities, especially in cooperation with NATO, where the priority is to support the implementation of key topics under the Strategic Compass."
- The major event of the presidency will be an October 6 summit in Prague Castle.
- The website of the Czech presidency can be found here: https://czech-presidency.consilium.europa.eu/en/