December 18, 2023 13:18 GMT
Norwegian Vessel Attacked in Red Sea: Reuters
A Norwegian-owned vessel was attacked in the Red Sea Dec. 18 via a strike originating from Houthi-controlled territory in Yemen, according to Reuters citing US officials.
- The M/V Swan Atlantic was hit by an unidentified object. None of the crew have been injured.
- It is carrying vegetable oil and headed for Reunion Island. Neither the owner nor the vessel’s journey have any ties to Israel.
- A British Maritime authority said earlier Dec. 18 that it received reports of two incidents of attempted attacks on vessels in the Red Sea.
- It has not been ascertained whether they pertain to the attack on the M/V Swan Atlantic.
- Concerns for shipping security are growing in the region, with BP suspending tanker traffic from the Red Sea and Euronav following today. Similar action had already been taken by: Maersk, MSC, Hapag Lloyd, and CMA CGM Group.