Exclusive interviews with leading policymakers that convey the true policy message that impacts markets.
Reporting on key macro data at the time of release.
- Emerging MarketsEmerging Markets
Real-time insight of emerging markets in CEMEA, Asia and LatAm region
- MNI ResearchMNI Research
Actionable insight on monetary policy, balance sheet and inflation with focus on global issuance. Analysis on key political risk impacting the global markets.
- About Us
Sign up now for free access to this content.
Please enter your details below and select your areas of interest.
- HUF has been relatively weak in the past two months even though the NBH has been raising rates since June to curb the inflationary pressures.
- We saw that market was slightly disappointed this week with NBH deciding to hike the benchmark rate by 15bps to 1.80%.
- A 30bps hike could have eased the volatility on the long end of the interest rate curve and the selling pressure on HUF.
- Selling pressure could remain elevated in the near term, which will continue to weigh on the HUF (which has been trading at multi month lows against major crosses).
- This chart shows that HUF NEER (nominal effective exchange rate), which looks at the performance of HUF versus a broader range of currencies, appears significantly undervalued relative to historical norm, currently standing 15% below its LT average.