July 14, 2022 11:19 GMT
USHomepagePolitical Market NewsPolitical RiskCommoditiesPolitical Risk BulletEnergy BulletsBulletMarketsFixed IncomeForeign Exchange
US President Joe Biden and Israeli caretaker Prime Minister Yair Lapid are shortly due to hold a joint press conference where they are expected to announce forceful new measures to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb.
- The presser was due to take place at 07:00 ET 12:00 BST but may be delayed by up to an hour following a similar delay to the I2U2 summit this morning. Livestream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSdzMlphGY
- Israel has consistently been one of the fiercest opponents to the Iranian nuclear deal - the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. The talks remain stalled and although there had been an expectation that Biden would use the trip to convince Israel to support a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear program, Lapid is expected to press Biden to abandon talks in favour of a military approach.
- Bo Erickson at CBS: "Biden & Israel’s Lapid signing new declaration. Details: -“Never to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon” -“firmly reject the BDS campaign” -Biden reaffirms support of 2-state solution -Israel thanks US for Abraham Accords -Israeli passport holders in US Visa Waiver Program ASAP."
- Lahav Harkov at the Jerusalem Post: "New details from inside the Biden-Lapid meeting: Lapid said Iran talks cannot continue to be open-ended, need to have a deadline. He also called for a credible military threat from the US to Iran. Biden’s only ask re the Palestinians was that there be no surprise construction."
- Barack Ravid of Axios: "Lapid told Biden the U.S. and it's European allies should push for snapback of UN security council sanctions against Iran and present a credible military threat in order to pressure Iran to agree to a diplomatic solution."