July 04, 2022 15:39 GMT
Chilean President Gabrielle Boric has received the completed draft for the new Chilean constitution.
- The submission of the final draft comes as approval for the new constitution and Boric himself continues to sink.
- Cadem poll: Approval of President Gabriel Boric (CS, left) Approve: 34% (-6) Don't know/Neither: 7% (+1) Disapprove: 59% (+5)
- Cadem shows disapproval of new constitution: Approve: 39.3% (-5.3) Reject: 60.7% (+5.3) (+/- vs 15-17 Jun) Fieldwork: 22-24 June 2022
- Mori-Fiel is slightly more optimistic on the constitution: Approve: 47.0% (-20.9) Disapprove: 53.0% (+20.9) (+/- vs. 5-16 Feb) Fieldwork: 9-24 June 2022
- A national plebiscite on the new constitution will be held on September 4. If the constitution is rejected, Boric will be seen as losing much of the reformist mandate upon which he was elected.
- Boris van der Spek of Chile Today writes of the acrimony of the constitutional reform process: "...this process brought out the ugliest of politics and fear campaigns... this Convention has been obstructed. However, this isn’t a blame game. The Convention should also look in the mirror. It seriously lacked in communication at times. Their way of working was sometimes very confusing."