August 17, 2022 18:02 GMT
USHomepagePolitical Market NewsPolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed IncomeForeign Exchange
US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price is delivering a press conference from the Department of State.
- A livestream of Price's presser can be reviewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2vN_UlnVhs
- On whether or not the State Department has a comment on the latest remarks from the Chinese Ambassador the US calling CODELs to Taiwan provocative, Price says that the US has, "repeatedly made the point that the [China] has engaged in dangerous and escalatory responses to a peace visit from the Speaker of the House [Nancy Pelosi]."
- Price says that, "although its planned military exercises have concluded [China] has maintained a heighted level of air and maritime activity around Taiwan and has made clear it will continue to do so."
- Price says that US policy toward Taiwan, in line with the One-China policy, "will unfold over the coming weeks and months because we realise this challenge is a long-term one."
- On whether or not Chinese participation in joint military exercises in Russia represents an increase in the risk of China providing military support to Russia, Price says, "most of the participating countries also routinely participate in a wide range of military exercises with the United States as well so we don't read anything into their engagement with this activity."
- However, Price says that the US has seen a burgeoning relationship between China and Russia, and "that is a concern because of the vision that the countries like the PRC and Russia have for the international order. It is a vision which is starkly at odds with the liberal order and the underpinnings of the international system which have been in place for eight decades."